Friday, January 23, 2009

Christian Food for Thought from Anne Magierski for the Inauguration Celebration

The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose,but mosquitoes come close.- Anonymous

Going from the ridiculous to the sublime, let's look at the word “purpose” for a moment. I received a book as a Christmas gift entitled, The Purpose of Christmas. I had never read anything by Rick Warren before, and I was surprised at what an easy read it was and how he came right to the point. This was no religious treatise. He never minced words, and spoke to the average person's concept of Christmas...what, why, and when. It was directed to all persons, those of faith and those of no faith. As I read it, I found myself re-examining my own journey as a Christian, a baptised believer, who practices her faith in the Episcopalian tradition. I believe that any book that can stir the soul and conscience of an individual, as this did, and promote self-examination is worthy of discussion here. Mr. Warren has been invited to deliver the inaugural invocation on January 20. Some of his views are controversial in the Christian world, so I will be listening intently to the words of his prayer to Almighty God on behalf of the President-Elect and the United States as a whole. Today's mail brought another book by Rick Warren, The Purpose Driven Life, which I purchased on the suggestion of a friend who told me it had changed his life. He and three of his co-workers met once a week at lunch for discussions. This man is an educated, successful Christian businessman who appeared to “have it all”, so I was intrigued by his statement. The Purpose Driven Life begins with, “This is more than a book; it is a guide to a 40-day spiritual journey that will enable you to discover the answer to life's most important question: “What on earth am I here for?” Intriguing, yes! Pastor Warren calls it a journey with purpose and strongly urges the reader to get one or more friends to join together in reading the book. “A journey is always better when it is shared.” I agree. I plan to read the 40 chapters, not day by day, but rather week by week. It took my friend and his group 40 weeks- almost a year! At the end of each chapter is a section called, “Thinking about My Purpose”. There you will find: a point to ponder, a verse to remember, a question to consider and discussion questions to share with your partner or a small group of friends. To quote Mr. Warren once more: “Real spiritual growth is never an isolated, individualistic pursuit. Maturity is produced through relationships and community.”



So now the journey begins. Chapter One: It all begins with God!

No comments: