Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christian Food for Thought About Stewardship by Anne Magierski

“The most obvious lesson in Christ's teaching is that there is no happiness in having or getting anything, but only in giving." -Henry Drummond, 1851-1897, Scottish evangelist, scientist, and theological writer

Stewardship is choosing what we will do with the gifts God has given us. The key to its success is the premise that as the years pass, each of us will gradually come to a new understanding of the word stewardship: the proper use of all we have received from God. During this time of Advent, we have been asked, as good stewards, to consider making a pledge...a commitment, a promise of how much each of us can give of our time, talent and treasure, enabling our vestry to put together a budget and plans for the coming year.

Years ago, I lived alone and had a steady income as a hospital employee. I pledged to my church each year and the amount was carefully determined after I had made up a monthly budget to see how much I could afford to give. A dear friend hinted that by so doing, I was “giving from what was left”, rather than giving “off the top,” “skimming off the cream”. The idea had never occurred to me to give to God first, and then budget what I had left! It worked! God really does love a cheerful giver. With every increase I received, I upped my pledge until I was able to tithe...10% of my take home pay.

Many things influence the amount of what we can give back to God out of what He has given us. When I made the decision to tithe, I was alone. My children were grown and had families of their own. With a very modest income, I was responsible for only myself. Many things change over the years that influence our giving habits. Financial and physical limitations often determine our decisions, and instead of looking for what we can do with our gifts of time, talent and treasure, we're more inclined to focus on what seems the impossibility of doing anymore than we are right now.

But Christianity MEANS giving. God gave us His creation, He gave us life, He gave us His Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus gave food for body and soul, He gave healing to the sick, and He gave His life on the cross for our sins, our unrighteousness, so that we might have God's reward of eternal life with Him. By pledging, we are demonstrating a desire to do the will of God, to be righteous followers of His Son and to participate more actively in the life of Holy Spirit Church.

“Freely, freely, you have received, Freely, freely, give: Go in my name, and because you believe, Others will know that I live."

No comments: